Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Good days

It's always nice to string together several good days in a row. My mood has been good lately. I've been functioning well at work. I'm much less overwhelmed than I was a few weeks ago, even though I am still getting used to my new schedule and new buildings. Running has also been going well, which is nice as I had a tough schedule this week. So things are good.

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. After working for a few hours in the morning, I came home and ran a 7 mile tempo run on an absolutely gorgeous day! I don't remember the last time I was able to wear shorts and a t-shirt on Thanksgiving Day in Minnesota! It was great! Before the weather changed, which it did by Thanksgiving night, I took Puck on his walk, too. I then joined my friends Bill and Cindy at another couple's home, where there were about 12 of us gathered, for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a group of healthy, happy, sober people--all friends--and it couldn't have been nicer. I am so grateful to be associated with such kind, humorous, loving people.

I had a busy, but not too busy, day at work yesterday before I spent the evening with friend, Bill, eating another turkey dinner. I do love turkey dinners! I hope I ran off all those turkey dinner calories today. I ran 13 miles in preparation for The Dallas Marathon, which I did decide to enter. The race, which will be my 20th career marathon, is two weeks from tomorrow, on December 9th, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm grateful to be feeling well, running well, and working with less stress. I'm a lucky woman. It doesn't always feel that way when my illness rears it's ugly head, but I am fortunate. I have built a life worth living despite depression's challenges. I am surrounded by people who love me despite my occasional penchant for isolation. And I have everything I need despite intermittent economic insecurity. Life is good today. I pray your life is also filled with love, gratitude, and everything you need. Take care, my friends.

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

This is a beautiful post. You inspire me with the way you have "built a life worth living."

aurevoir said...

You are very inspiring thank you for your posts, I am going through the worst with depression right now just diagnosed, age 23 and already changing my life. I wish the best for you. It's great to see you exercise and are doing good now it's even kinda incredible for ppl like me.

AdHoc said...

A great post, it is wonderful to read your blog. Always inspiring and good to hear how well you are doing



.