Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Five days and counting

I just finished a busy day of running, working, errands, a meeting, walking Puck, and packing. I've got two more busy days ahead of me before my plane leaves for Dallas on Friday. The Dallas Marathon is Sunday morning. I'm now experiencing the preparatory anxiety and excitement I routinely get in the days before a marathon. It's all part of the process. And I like it!

Things continue to go well. Actually, considering I discontinued one of my medications a few weeks ago, with my doctors reluctant permission, things are going extremely well. My mood is good, but even better, I've noticed I'm much less fatigued than I've been in, well, years! I still take a nap just about every day, but my naps are shorter, and if I miss my nap, I don't suffer nearly as much. It's nice. It's really nice.

D and I are also doing well, I think. We haven't seen each other since my last visit to his home in early November, but we talk frequently and text each other daily. Last night, D dropped a bit of a bombshell on me when he asked me to accompany him to The Caribbean next month. Wow! We have no definitive plans yet. He's "researching it." I'm pretty excited, but I'm remaining cautious in case it doesn't happen. It would be wonderful to spend 4 or 5 days together on a beach far from home. I'll let you know how things develop.

That's it for today. I'm filled with gratitude for the opportunities I have in life today. I'm grateful to be feeling well. I'm grateful for fulfilling work. I'm grateful to be running well. And I'm really grateful for the support of friends, professionals, the recovery community, and those of you reading this blog.

4 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm so glad things are going well for you. Good luck in the marathon. And a possible trip with D sounds exciting!

Thank you for sharing your story with us and inspiring us! :-)

dreambigrunner.com said...

I can feel your happiness while reading your blog! The Caribbean would be wonderful, especially during this cold times!!! Good luck on Sunday!!

AdHoc said...

Good luck on sunday.

Kerrin Mathis said...

That is great that you have the energy and motivation to make a trip to Dallas and run a marathon while still suffering from depression. Would like to know your secret.



.