Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, December 28, 2012

Seven Years

It's a big day today. Not only is it my nephew's 7th birthday, it is also the day, seven years ago, when I took my last drink. I am seven years sober today. I don't remember that last drink. There was nothing special about it. It was not monumental, but thankfully it was my last. Apparently, I had finally had enough.

Despite the notability of the day, there was nothing monumental about today either. It was just another day. In fact, I only thought about my sobriety anniversary a couple of times. And perhaps that is just the way it should be, for living sober is just the way it is today. I no longer struggle with sobriety. As long as I keep working my recovery program, hopefully that will continue to be the case.

Seven years ago the case was different. Getting sober was quite a struggle. I don't take my recovery for granted. I know that I am only one unchecked thought and one sip away from my next drunk. I know people who try and try but cannot seem to get this gift. I know people who have died before the miracle happened, and getting sober is a miracle. I don't know why I got it when others didn't. Thankfully, I did get it. I am very grateful to be sober today. Seven years...wow.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations, Etta. You've come a long way.

dreambigrunner.com said...

Congratulations!! What a huge accomplishment!

Nicole said...

I agree with you, sobriety is absolutely a miracle. Congratulations to you!!

*hugs*
Nicole

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Congratulations on your accomplishment!



.