Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Nice Surprise

I got a phone call early Friday morning. It was D. He asked if I wanted some company for the weekend. Of course, I said yes! What a great surprise! He's an accountant, and this is his busiest time of year, so we weren't sure he'd be able to come here again until after tax day, April 15th. But he had an unexpected lull in his schedule, and he was able to get away. I was so happy! I had absolutely no plans for the weekend, and I had been feeling a bit sorry for myself.

D's visit cured my woes. He arrived around 6:00 PM Friday night. It was so nice to see him! He got to meet Jet for the first time, and Jet won him over in no time at all. Jet really loved D, too. All three of us had a great weekend!

Yesterday we went to the movie Silver Linings Playbook with my friends, Bill and Cindy. I was interested in seeing it because the main character had bipolar disorder. After seeing the film, I understood why it was nominated for several Academy Awards. While it was a somewhat predictable feel good story, the acting was quite good. We all enjoyed it very much.

As usual, it was difficult to say goodbye to D today. He had to leave earlier than usual due to the unpredictable stormy weather we were experiencing. Prior to his departure, we went out for a nice, romantic brunch at one of the finer restaurants in town. It was really nice.

I'm still smiling as a result of my unexpectedly eventful weekend. It was so great to spend time with D. It's never enough time, but I don't worry about that. I'm grateful he made time for me, not to mention the 4 hour drive, despite his busy work schedule. Our relationship is going well. Slowly but surely we seem to be building something good. I'm grateful for that, too.

2 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

How wonderful that you got to spend such a great weekend with D! I love surprises like that. I'm glad it made you feel better.

dreambigrunner.com said...

Awww I'm so happy for you!! Surprise visits are the bests!!



.