Depression Marathon Blog

My Photo
Diagnosed with depression 14 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, February 4, 2013

A slow return

I finally got back on the road. I went for a run on Saturday. It had been at least 12 days since my last run. This was more of a slog than a run, but at least I got out of the house. My feet moved. My lungs expanded. I breathed in the fresh air. I coughed. I kept going. I took it slow, the coughing got better, and I made it 6 miles before calling it quits.

I just got in from another run. It was colder tonight, and the footing was dicey. I took it slow again. I got tired more quickly than I would have liked, but I felt satisfied when I finished. I hate starting over. I hate when easy running feels hard. But I am so, so glad to be back on the road! I am not complaining!

I think I'll probably be taking things slow for a little while. My chest is still congested. I don't know. Maybe I had pneumonia again because this thing is really hanging on. I'm better, but there is still gunk in one area in my chest. It's weird. Once in awhile I can reach it with a cough, but most of my coughing is just annoying and unproductive. I sound like a smoker for crying out loud! I guess I just need to be patient. At least I'm running again!

Speaking of running, I've decided to run Grandma's Marathon again this year. It is 19 weeks from now on Saturday, June 22nd. As most of you know, I function much better when I have a goal. The plan to run Grandma's will keep getting me out the door when I'm feeling tired or low. I've already typed out the 18 week training schedule. I'll use this week to just get my feet back under me, and next week, the beginning of the schedule, is also easy. Like I said, I'm doing my best to take things slow.

Patience. I guess that's the lesson for today. I'm working on my acceptance and patience. I need to accept where I'm at today and try to be patient with my return to form. I think I'm off to a fairly good start.

3 comments:

dreambigrunner.com said...

Glad to hear you start running again, take it easy! You don't want to keep the coughing around even longer. Yeah for signing up for a race! That is always very motivating!!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

It's great that you've set a goal and made plans for reaching it. Glad you're running again. It will get easier with time. Patience is always a hard lesson for me to learn! :-)

AlmostBluu said...

Keep it up!



.