Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Not much happening here

I don't have much to report today. My life, after all, is not that interesting. It's fairly routine, but it's just that routine which keeps me moving forward, I guess. Today was relatively quiet and relaxing. After reading and napping the morning away, I had a good mid-afternoon run. I'm just finishing up my third week of training for Grandma's, which is in mid-June. The weather has been cooperative lately, allowing me to continue avoiding the dreaded treadmill. The fresh air is good for me, and I'd much rather run outside.

To complement my running, I just signed up for a strength training class which uses kettleballs and a suspension system. It's an eight week class, Monday and Wednesday evenings, beginning next week. It's circuit training, so there will be cardiovascular and strength benefits, which will hopefully speed up my running pace. I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't done any strength training since my last marathon in early December. It's time to get back into it.

Jet is doing well. He received a clean report from the veterinarian last week, which was great news. He comes to work with me just about every day. He's so cute, and he loves people, so the nursing home residents and my coworkers love having him around. He spends most of the day silently lying in his kennel, but I take him out to greet anyone who requests it. It's really nice for both of us. I think it's helped our bonding, and it's definitely helped him socialize with a variety of people.

Let's see. I can't think of anything else pertinent to report. Like I said, my life is fairly routine. And that's okay. Drama is way overrated! I'm okay with routine. In fact, I'm grateful for it.

4 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I agree--routine is good!

I am trying to get into more of a routine myself. I find that it helps my depression and OCD by helping me use my time better and accomplish more while not doing too much, if that makes sense.

It's neat that Jet goes to work with you!

Kai said...

Good for you, it's so nice to see that people can recover (or at least live a fulfilling life with job etc.) - even after the worst nightmares... This should give people hope who are struggling and wondering if this will ever stop!

jack said...

Great to see you doing well, Routine sometimes is a great help as behavior becomes predictable..

dreambigrunner.com said...

I love the fact you bring your dog to work! That is awesome and I'm sure he loves it :)



.