Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Running heavy, smiling anyway

I just came in from an 11 mile run. It was way more difficult than it should have been. I am pooped! I feel like I am starting over, which essentially I am, after so many weeks of illness and sloth. During my run today I could feel the extra pounds I've been carrying as a result of that layoff. I could also tell my lungs aren't quite right, yet. In fact, I went to my allergy/asthma doc the other day, and he prescribed an antibiotic and a steroid inhaler. Hopefully that combination of meds will finally kill whatever has been ailing me.

My asthma has actually been flared up not only as a result of my lingering congestion, but also because of my new puppy, Jet. I am actually allergic to dogs, and cats, and many other things. I built up an immunity to Puck, and I expect I will do the same with Jet, but it's apparently going to take awhile. Once I do, I can get rid of the steroid inhaler, which I hate because it makes my voice strangled and squeaky. Hopefully I won't need it for long.

Speaking of Jet, he is doing wonderfully. He constantly makes me laugh out loud. He plays by himself by throwing his toys in the air, pouncing on them wherever they land, and then tossing his head back and letting them fly again. He will romp, and jump, and race around the house doing this for up to 30 minutes at a time! It's hysterical! He is such a puppy!

Jet has helped with my grief over Puck. In fact, recently several people have told me how happy I look. Just this morning one of my friends said it again. It's hard to look sad, I guess, if one spends so much time laughing. I think both Jet and I were lucky to find one another. I think we're both smiling a lot.

1 comment:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I smiled reading this, imagining you and Jet having so much fun and smiling and laughing together!

My husband and I have two cats, and we're both allergic to them. We just deal with it. I do think we've built up some immunity, too.

So glad you're running again! Hope the lungs get back to normal soon.



.