Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Vacancy in the Character Department

You know, it takes no creativity, no brilliance, no sensitivity, and certainly no conscience to copy a blog post verbatim and present it as one's own. Copying 70 of them blatantly demonstrates someone who is devoid of any character! What is the point? What do they get out of it? Even photos? I mean, c'mon! Get a life!

Yes, it has happened again. It's been a few years, but I just discovered that another blogger.com blog, called depressionproblem.blogspot.com, (please don't visit this jerk's site!) stole close to half of my 2010 blog posts, pictures and all. Despite the blog title, the other posts on the site, likely also stolen, seem to be right wing political garbage. It appears the jerk began the blog in late 2010 by copying 70 of my posts before switching to the ranting political stuff. All of the posts, ranting and otherwise, stop in 2011.

I'm enraged! What motivated this idiot to copy my blog posts? Again, what is the point? I've contacted Google, but all I've received from them is a form letter (e-mail), saying they are very busy with multiple complaints, they've put my complaint into the queue, and they'll only get back to me if they decide they need to take any action. Otherwise, I won't even hear from them. If any of you reading this know of other avenues I can take to find and stop this plagiarist, I'd be happy for the assistance.

Until then... thanks for letting me vent.

6 comments:

dreambigrunner.com said...

Wow, sorry this happened, why would people do that? Arrgh, and Google's response is not helping either. So sorry!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

This is awful--and scary! I hope Google can do something to help, or give some kind of guidance.

Mohican said...

So it happened again! I checked once or twice lately, but didn't think to go back to 2010 posts. I know it's irritating, but (sorry, I went there to check it out) it certainly is a sorry blog. All those other posts were ripped off from other places without acknowledgement, and there are no ads, and it hasn't been updated. And everything is in Turkish except for the ripped posts themselves. I have no idea what he thought he was trying to accomplish.

The curious thing is, why you? Is depression becoming fashionable? Are depression blogs generating lotsa traffic suddenly? And your posts are so personal - how is some guy in Turkey going to pass himself off as "Etta" in Minneapolis? It's just bizarre. Google will get around to it, just try to be patient.

etta said...

Oh Mohican,
It is so nice to hear from you! I knew if there was anything else I could do, you would know what it was. Thank you for checking it out. I couldn't even figure out what language that was!
And why me(?) is a great question! It is so ridiculous! What does he get out of posting my personal words, and even more strangely, my pictures of my vacation to Colorado?
Do people think I make money doing this? (Not a penny!) And that by stealing my words, they are somehow going to make money? I don't get it. Perhaps you're right, maybe depression is in vogue!
It really does suck! And as you could probably tell by my post, it really pisses me off! I hope Google will take care of it.
Anyway, I feel some relief knowing you've investigated. Thank you for your words and efforts.

Erica said...

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened, Etta! This is something I've always been worried about since I started blogging, especially with my photos. I hope Google takes his blog down, at the very least!!

ferdinand receno said...

Hello etta,
The blog has been replaced with page full of crappy ads. Is it Google's penalty for the blog owner by creaming it with ad-filled page? You absolutely won the case since no one can read the posts from that blog.



.