Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, February 25, 2013

Victory over Plagiarism

I just heard back from Google regarding the dope who plagiarized 70, that's seventy, of my 2010 blog posts. Here's the Google Team's message,

Hello,
Thanks for reaching out to us. In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have completed processing your infringement notice. We are in the process of disabling access to the content in question at the following URL(s)...
The content will be removed shortly.
Regards,
The Google Team


That was certainly good news to receive, but it came with a caveat. The process of reporting plagiarism to Google requires the complainant to fill out a form with the specific URL of the original content followed by the specific URL of the copied content. I sent them 5 sets of URLs and explained that those were just 5 of the 70 posts which were plagiarized. I asked that they disable the plagiarist's entire site based on those 5 examples, as Google states they will disable entire accounts of "repeat offenders."

Unfortunately, based on their e-mail, it appears Google is only going to disable access to the 5 URLs which I provided. Therefore, it appears I will have to copy and paste all 70 original URLs and then copy and paste all 70 copied URLs into another complaint form.

It is going to be a very time consuming project, and I'm not sure when I will have that kind of time! It's really maddening that this jerk copied 70 of my original posts with a couple clicks of his mouse, and I'll have to spend hours to get it erased! It's daunting just thinking about it. But if that's what I have to do, that's exactly what I'll do. I'd certainly like to get my hands on the plagiarist, though!

6 comments:

Erica said...

That's frustrating they won't take down the whole site, but at least they will remove the posts he stole! Good for you for not giving up on it, Etta!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I would be frustrated at having to do all that, too, because of someone else's plagiarism. I'm glad that Google is taking some steps, though. Good for you for going after a remedy!

Mohican said...

Interesting. I was going to pull some URLs of other posts he stole - like from the New York Times - which might add some weight to the argument, but the site now auto-redirects after a few seconds to some site which seems to be just a placeholder. Don't know if Google is doing that or the jerk did. All in all, Google seems to have responded pretty well and quickly. I think you should feel good about the whole thing. Sniffed it out, turned him in, got a change made. Sharp!

etta said...

@ Mohican,
I had that happen to me, too, but it didn't happen every time. I didn't know what to think of it. I hope I can access the site enough to get all 70 of my posts removed. But I really wish they'd just take it down!
Thanks Erica, Tina, and Mohican for your kind words.

Bradley said...

I'm shocked they won't take it down. I had this same thing happen to me on an old website I had (not a blog). I wasn't to thrilled with how the site was going so I was planning on shutting it down anyway, so I just let it be. But my blog!!! Oh no. I can only imagine how frustrated and angry you must be. I hope it gets resolved fast.

Saracide said...

Ooo this makes me mad. Can't believe Google just won't take down the site. I've always wondered if I would find my content somewhere else on the interwebs. At least you caught it!



.