Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Winter running

Brrrr... It is cold here in Minnesota! Shocking, I know. It was barely above zero today. I believe it is exactly 1 degree Fahrenheit right now. This morning, with the 20-40 mph winds, the windchill was something like -20 to -30 (that's 20 to 30 degrees below zero)! I had a 5 mile run on my schedule. The smart thing to do, the reasonable thing to do, I figured, was drive to the gym and get on the treadmill.

But then again, I never, ever claimed to be reasonable or smart. After not too much deliberation, the thought of getting into an ice cold vehicle, with too little clothing, and driving 10 ice cold minutes to run 5 boring miles without moving an inch, was less appealing to me than layering up, slipping plastic baggies over my wool socks, covering most of my head and face in fleece, and stepping out the side door into the crisp, bright, breezy day.

I had a great run! I put on just the right amount of gear, and I was quite comfortable. I tried to avoid running into the wind when I could. The fresh snow made for soft, secure footing. The bright sun reflecting off that snow made the scenery lovely, and I had the local running routes all to myself. Instead of the five miles I had scheduled, I ran eight and a half. I looked like a frosty Eskimo when I got home, but the bragging rights I earned were priceless.

After such a nice run, the rest of my day was a breeze. Work was quite busy and ran long, so I grabbed some Chinese food on the way home and, as usual, ate way too much. I'm expecting a long day tomorrow, too, but I only have a 3-miler to complete and the high is supposed to be a whopping 12 degrees! That should be a cinch!

5 comments:

dreambigrunner.com said...

Never heard about plastic bags around your socks, but then I never ran in anything colder than 20F. You are awesome for getting out there!!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I am impressed with your running in such frigid air! I haven't heard of plastic bags around the socks, either. Enjoy the "warmer" weather tomorrow!

etta said...

Really? My mom used to put empty bread bags over our socks inside our snow boots when we were kids. In airy running shoes, the plastic is an easy way to keep the cold wind off my toes. It works!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could have handled that. I love snow the Los Angeles style. Take a quick drive to the mountains, look at the snow and say "ooh, how pretty," then head back home to the Jacuzzi.

Bradley said...

Oops. Sorry, Etta, I forgot to put my name on the above post about living in LA. It's me...Bradley. It's been agest but I finally have come back to the blogging world. I was very happy to see that you're still at it.



.