Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

A good day for a run

After the capture of the second Boston Marathon bomber late last night, which was such a relief, the morning here dawned bright and crisp. The sun was high and bright for the first time in at least a week. D and I laced up our shoes for an early morning race. Actually, I laced up my shoes really early and got five miles in before our 20 kilometer (12.4 mile) race. I had a 19-miler scheduled, so I ran a couple miles with Jet, a few more by myself, then D and I ran the race, and then I finished with another couple miles. The picture below was taken just before mile 12 of the race, my 17th mile of the day.


It was a glorious day. All around, runners at the race, myself included, and runners around the city throughout the day, were decked out in Boston Marathon gear. The mood was celebratory at every turn. Just the way it should be, the way it usually is, when one is running or racing. It was so nice. Again, it was a relief.

To be able to share such a wonderful, celebratory day with D was icing on the cake. After the race, we went out for lunch at one of our favorite cafes. A nap, a movie (42--two thumbs up!), and an Italian dinner rounded out our day. Back home now, we are being entertained by Jet's never-ending, comedic antics. It's good to be together laughing and relaxing.

When he leaves tomorrow, it will be too soon. But I'm not complaining. It was a great day to share with someone special. It was a great day for a run, some fun, a little laughter and a bit of love.

3 comments:

howisbradley said...

After the horrible events this week it's good to read that your more at ease now.

A traveler in the same boat said...

The resilience of life is what I see in what you have written, something bright which tears though the pervading holocaust.

The dark clouds gather in my sky and all so often, but every single day I keep looking for the fleeting glimpses of the sun. I saw the same sun in reading this post today. Thank you.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

It was such a hard week. I'm glad that you were able to end the week with good things. Your day sounded wonderful.



.