Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Stronger

My legs were protesting just a bit during my 10-mile run this morning. I'm currently in the middle of my heaviest weeks of marathon training. I'm also in the 8th week of my kettlebell and suspension training class. We are working especially hard in that class. We've learned all the moves, so our instructor has us lifting and moving non-stop for the entire 45 minutes now. I came home last night feeling like a wet noodle. I have my last level one class tomorrow night, and then we have one week off prior to beginning 8 weeks of level two classes.

The heavier training is definitely paying off in more ways than one. When running, I've noticed I can conquer hills with less effort than I required previously. The weight training has apparently helped my shape, or at least D thought so. I received more than one compliment from him when he visited this past weekend. That was nice. The training schedule and classes are tough, but I do appreciate the benefits.

Gaining toughness, whether through lifting weights or by increasing mileage, will improve my running speed and efficiency. This weekend I will run my first of three scheduled 20-milers prior to my marathon. I'm not too worried about it, as the 19-miler, with a 12.4 mile race in the middle of it, went well last Saturday. I do think my legs will continue to be tired, however. That's the way it is at this point in a marathon training cycle. It's the usual fatigue. Getting through it means getting stronger.

Getting stronger. That's what my training is all about. I enjoy the process. The journey to race day is fun for me. I appreciate training's benefits but working hard and accomplishing the smaller daily goals really satisfies me. In this case, I relish the journey at least as much if not more than the destination.

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

That's wonderful that you enjoy the journey, too. The physical strength that you're gaining will help you beyond the marathon, I'm sure. I like the idea of getting stronger. I'm looking forward to being past this broken foot and regaining some strength of my own.

Mopsa said...

I really admire your persistence and discipline. You're making me wanting to give running a try :P Keep up with the good work!

poetspilgrimage said...

So glad that you are feeling stronger!
I just found out I have low ferritin too, not long after reading your posts about it. It's encouraging to see a success story!

I've been a reader for a while, and I nominated you for Blog for Mental Health 2013 - I saw that another commenter did as well. Please don't feel pressured to participate, but I thought you should know you are reaching quite a lot of people. :)

http://poetspilgrimage.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/blog-for-mental-health-2013/



.