Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, April 26, 2013

Sun and Run!

The sun came out from behind the Winter today. Finally. It's been Winter around here for far too many months now! It's late April, yet it's been cold and gray and snowing. And it's been gray and snowing and cold. And on and on and on... It's been just a bit demoralizing.

Running outside, not once since November without maximum coverage of all four limbs, has been challenging. But here I sit, reclined in my chair, sun shining on my face, fresh air breezing through my open windows, hydrating for my 20-mile run tomorrow morning. I'm actually worried about getting out early so I don't wilt in this new-found heat! I'm even going to get to wear shorts!

I'm actually anxious to do my first 20-miler tomorrow morning. The change in the weather will just make it more relaxing and fun. Since beginning the iron supplementation a few weeks ago, my running has gotten so much easier. I've been able to do speed work, tempo runs, and long runs without muscle cramps or breathlessness. Feeling like I'm putting in a hard but appropriately tiring effort sure makes running more enjoyable.

At this point, you might be thinking, "This chick is strange! How can running a 20-mile training run be enjoyable?" Well, I have several friends and coworkers who would agree with you. Running provides me with so many positives, it's difficult not to enjoy it. Just breathing fresh air and soaking in some sun for three hours is a huge motivator to keep moving forward with a smile on my face. Sure I'll be tired afterward, but the endorphin buzz will keep that from being a lasting memory. Maybe I am strange, but I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I hope you enjoyed your run today! I'm glad the iron supplements are helping.

I don't think you're strange. When I used to run (much shorter runs that you!), I felt so good afterwards that I had no problem planning my next run!



.