Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Best laid plans

Okay, Mother Nature! I totally give up! Uncle! Uncle! What can we do to make it stop? This morning's workout called for seven half mile repeats on a beautiful, spongy, oval track. Afterward, I planned to linger on the luxuriously green infield grass stretching my tired muscles slowly while soaking in the sun. That was the plan. And it was a wonderfully appealing plan! And then I woke up.
 
This is a photo of Jet taken one week ago in my backyard. He was making me laugh, as usual. He discovered this large piece of lumbar under the fence and proceeded, with all his might, to drag it all over the yard.  
He dragged it, attacked it, tossed it, hurdled it, chewed it, barked at it, and generally romped around with it for the better part of an hour. He was in heaven! But then again, he's pretty easy. He finds tiny sticks, flying leaves, unearthed rocks, and even pieces of wayward trash to be heavenly toys as well.
 
The picture above is my little boy racing through our backyard this morning! Now you understand my first paragraph! Unlike his mom, Jet thinks this is just fabulous! He couldn't wait to get outside! He's been out for almost three hours now, and he's barely stopped moving. If he could speak, I'm sure I would hear him screaming, "Wheeeeeeee!"  
 
I wish I could share your enthusiasm, Buddy. But instead of a nice soft track on which to run fast and luxurious green grass on which to stretch, I now face stationary breathlessness on a revolving rubberized belt breathing stale, sweaty, shared air. My favorite.
 
And as you can see in the last photo, the snow is showing no signs of letting up. So what's the deal, Mother Nature? It appears you are currently catering to the canines. That's nice. My little canine certainly entertains me. But will it be our turn soon? I can't wait for my opportunity to squeal, "Wheeeeeeee," too!

4 comments:

midnight rainbow said...

OMGosh! You poor girl. Spring just finally broke for us and we are all praying that it hangs on.

Jet is growing up so fast! It is cool to see him have such a good time in the snow. :)

I have six dogs who prefer the snow so I know the feeling.

Hang in there!

poetspilgrimage said...

That IS disappointing - I hope it warms up soon.

Pics of Jet are so adorable, though, maybe the snow is almost worth it!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Wow! That is amazing, to have that much snow in May! We are deep in spring here (sorry--not tryinig to rub it in!). Surely, spring will come to stay soon where you are. I hope so!

Jet is so beautiful! That's a blessing, that he finds so much fun in the simple things.

dreambigrunner.com said...

OH, I feel for you all, can't believe there is snow in MAY! Your dog is soo cute!!!



.