Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ooops...almost

After my 10-miler yesterday morning, I was relaxing in the shower when it occurred to me I may have made a terrible mistake. D's birthday is in early May, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember the date! I just knew his birthday was in early May, and I was fairly certain I had forgotten it! Oh my.

By the time I exited the shower, my heart was heavy. I couldn't believe I could do something so dumb. I knew that if he had forgotten my birthday, I would have been devastated. But I don't know how men tick, exactly, so I quizzed the guy working in my house. And I quizzed my male co-workers. I even quizzed some of my elderly patients. They all made me feel a little better. The consensus was it would be no big deal to a guy. But I still felt bad.

I mean it's bad enough I forgot his birthday, but I didn't even know exactly which date it was that I had forgotten! My co-workers and I, and even many of our patients, had a good laugh over the entire situation! It made for good humor throughout the day in the therapy room.

Nevertheless, after I left work, I called D to apologize. He didn't answer, so I left him a message apologizing profusely for missing his birthday. I was honest. I had no excuses. I told him so, and then I went home and Googled some manly flowers to be delivered the next day, today.

I was looking at various flower bouquets when I heard back from D. It was late last night, so he sent a text. It ended with, "Birthday is tomorrow." In other words, his birthday was today, May 15th! I laughed out loud! After all that worry and fret. After admitting to everyone, including D, that I was kind of an insensitive dope, at least on this day and issue, it was all for naught! I hadn't missed his birthday after all!

My boyfriend, D, received a lovely bouquet of manly flowers, wishing him a happy birthday, at his office today. He was touched by my thoughtfulness. He told me it was a very nice thing to do. Of course, I'm still a bit of an insensitive boob for forgetting his birth date, but I don't think it fazed him a bit. And the resolution of my dilemma made for another lively, laughter-filled day in the therapy department!

Sometimes, it's best just to laugh. When I see D this weekend, I have a feeling more laughter will ensue. And that will be just fine with me. I like to laugh, even if it is at myself.

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

What a funny situation! And I'm sure your co-workers and patients enjoyed being a part of giving you feedback and laughing with you. You've got the right attitude. Sometimes laughter is the best reaction.

dreambigrunner.com said...

Just reading your blogs lately I can feel you are doing great! They sound upbeat and happy. The story about D's birthday is funny, SOOO glad you didn't miss his birthday after all.

Rose Sauve said...

Laughter is always a good way to go, especially when dealing with upsetting situations. (I love your blog, by the way).



.