Depression Marathon Blog

My Photo
Diagnosed with depression 13 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Wonderful Weekend Away

I just returned home from a weekend in Milwaukee where Jet and I visited my boyfriend, D. As usual, it was really nice to see D, spend time with him, walk along the lake with him, run with him, talk with him, eat fabulous meals with him, and enjoy Jet with him. The four hour drive there and back, especially back, tires me out, but it is so worth it.

We were particularly close this weekend. There was no particular reason. I think it's just the natural growth of our relationship, which is so wonderful. I'm pleased with how comfortable we've gotten with each other, and I'm really pleased with how much he enjoys Jet. He even kissed Jet goodbye today. I don't think he ever pictured himself doing that to a dog!

Soon it will be time to go up to his lake home in Northern Wisconsin, which unfortunately is five and a half hours from here. He's going up there next weekend, Memorial Day Weekend, to open everything up. Meanwhile I will be here running a marathon.

The last 20-miler in my Grandmas Marathon training schedule is next weekend. It coincides with the local Med City Marathon, which is Sunday, so I plan on running the first 20 miles as a long run. If I'm feeling well at the 20 mile mark, I'll go ahead and finish my 21st marathon. If not, I'll just step off the course and walk the 10 blocks home. It's a win-win situation, and I'm looking forward to it.

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm so glad that your relationship is going so well with D. I think relationships that progress naturally and comfortably are the best! And that's great that he kissed Jet! I kiss my cats on their little heads all the time--they think I'm strange to do it, but they put up with me. :-)

Good luck on the 20-miler! I'm so impressed with your work ethic!

dreambigrunner.com said...

So glad you had a nice weekend! Good luck next weekend with your 20miler and maybe marathon.

Ciaran Cooney said...

Like your blog. Especially the part in the title where you mention using the illness to grasp opportunities you might otherwise have missed. Gives me something to think on for my own depression.



.