Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Not so gray

The weather remains cool, gray and wet around here. My mood, however, not so much. The dip I feared never really materialized, and for that I am extremely grateful. I saw my doc on Thursday, and she gave me a nice pep talk. She is so supportive. She reminded me I've worked very hard and devoted myself to maintaining my physical and mental health. She was confident I was having a little lull of which I could pull myself out. Her confidence in me feels good, and her pep talk did help. I left her office feeling emboldened and immediately experienced a lifting of my spirits. She gave me exactly what I needed at that time.

My sponsor and I got together Friday night, which always feels good. I love working my program of recovery, and my sponsor is a great role model. After attending an inspiring meeting this morning, two women celebrated over 25 years of sobriety, I got some more recovery time in while running 12 miles with my friend, T. I usually do all of my training alone, so it's always nice when T and I get together to cover some miles. I enjoyed our run and chat.

The rest of my weekend will be restful. I don't have to work. I'm tapering for Grandmas Marathon, so I don't have to run much. In a couple hours my house will be clean and my laundry done. There are a few social things going on, but I haven't yet decided if I will attend or not. I may just stay in and enjoy the peace.

If it doesn't rain, I may spend tomorrow in the woods with Jet. We haven't been hiking together yet. It was one of my favorite things to do with Puck, so I'm anxious to introduce Jet to my favorite state park and trails. I think he'll love it, and I know I will love watching him experience it for the first time.

Until we meet again, carry on with health and happiness, my friends.



1 comment:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. It makes sense that we will all experience a lull from time to time. I guess we have to take them as they come and work through them, which you did.

Hiking with Jet sounds fun! I hope the weather cooperated and you were able to go.



.