Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Officially training again

I'm back on the road preparing for my next marathon, The Twin Cities Marathon, in early October. It was nice to run for fun over the past couple of weeks, but there's something about training that feels right and good. I think the structure of training gives my life direction, meaning, and order. I actually don't do well with too much free time, so having a schedule keeps me on track and helps me get things done. And as a lifelong athlete, the physical and mental challenges of hitting paces, conquering hills, and logging long miles are all quite gratifying.

Yes, marathon preparation is under way. Despite thinking, perhaps out loud, that I would never, ever go for a marathon personal record again, which was my thought at mile 25 of Grandmas Marathon a few weeks ago, I have begun to think about the possibility. Of course I have! After all, I was sick at Grandmas, and I still ran a personal best! You all knew this was going to happen, didn't you? Well, I also function better when I have a specific goal.

I haven't set that goal yet. I had a great 14-mile run in the warm rain at 5 AM this morning. I am going to wait a few more weeks, see how my overall training goes, before I make a decision as to whether I will aim for a fast time at Twin Cities or not. I am excited by the prospect of running well. That excitement fuels my desire to follow my schedule and keep training hard. It's nice to be "officially" back at it.

2 comments:

dreambigrunner.com said...

LOVE starting a new training cycle! New goals and dreams are the best motivation!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I think it's great that you enjoy training so much. I think I could do with a training program of some sort (not for a marathon--yet). I tend to get very little done if I have no structure.



.