Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, August 5, 2013

A decent race

For the second Saturday in a row, I ran a race. This race was 11 miles long. It's an annual event held on a paved bike trail which runs through the woods northwest of town. It's a very laid back race, and only about 50 people ran despite the perfect, sunny and cool weather conditions. I run this race every year, even though I always find myself questioning that decision somewhere around mile nine every year.

This year was no exception. I was feeling quite cooked by mile nine and cursing myself for running yet again. Despite that, I did have a decent race. I ran entirely by feel. I didn't look at my watch once. I wore one, because I like to see my mile splits after the fact, but I wanted to run without worrying about pace. Unfortunately, I had some uncomfortable GI distress, which kept my anxiety up until I finally took a quick pit-stop around mile four. After that I was able to focus all of my anxiety on the discomfort of running an out-and-back 11-mile race! (That was a joke.)

This is what I looked like about one half mile prior to the finish. I definitely look a lot better than I felt! I was totally ready to be done!

 
I ended up finishing second overall, and first of only two women in my age division, in a time of 1:25:21. I'm okay with that. I didn't take any easy or rest days prior to the race, and I'm in the middle weeks of my marathon training, so 1:25:21 is a decent time. I'm sure I could run faster, but I guess I'll have to wait until next year to prove that. Next year... yup, I'm sure I'll go back.

2 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

That looks like a lovely trail. That's a good reason to keep running the race. :-) Sorry you had the GI distress. That's no fun at all.

Possibly Depressed Male said...

Don't sell yourself short. That's a hell of a run. Congrats. You are an inspiration.



.