Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Jet's Progress

My little boy, Jet, will be 1 year old tomorrow. It's hard to believe he's that old already. Of course, he and I have only been together for 9 months, and we're still working things out. Now that he's able to take walks, post arthroscopic elbow surgery, we've been getting in some good training time. We walk about 12 blocks every night, and I'm training him to heel. Tonight, for the first time, he did it on a loose leash! He's catching on.

Unfortunately, I don't think the surgery fixed his elbow. Four weeks post-op he still seems to be having discomfort in that joint. He does fine being quiet around the house, but after we return from our walks, he usually ends up limping. For that reason I haven't stopped the "keeping him quiet" routine. With the exception of one day, when he was too wild out there and came in limping, he hasn't played in his backyard since surgery. He goes out on leash with me every time he needs a potty break, so his only activity is our daily walk.

I'm planning to continue our quiet routine until at least 6 weeks post-op, so we've got a couple weeks to go. He should be really good at heeling by then! With the exception of that bright spot, however, I am concerned. I hate not allowing him to play, but I'm still hoping for the best long term outcome. I really don't want him to be in pain his entire life. I don't want him to be prematurely lame either, but right now I'm scared that's where we're headed.

I'm going to follow up with the surgeon or my local vet tomorrow. I pray the surgeon says he's doing as expected and things will continue to improve. I'm grateful Jet's still as enthusiatic, creative, and funny as always. His right elbow may not be fixed, but his personality is far from broken! He's a joy!

1 comment:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm sorry that Jet seems to still be experiencing discomfort. I hope it's normal after this kind of surgery and that it goes away. Happy Birthday to Jet, and I hope you and Jet enjoy many happy years together!



.