Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Hanging out Inpatient

I'm still in the hospital, where I've been since last week for this latest episode of depression. Tomorrow I have my twelfth ECT treatment and then plan to head home. My friend, Wendy, who assisted getting me to the hospital and who is currently watching my dog doesn't want me to go home yet. She is worried I continue to have the same dark thoughts which originally landed me in here. She doesn't think those thoughts have resolved enough yet, and she is worried I am going to go home and continue to struggle with my thinking. Neither of us want that. But I can't stand to be here for one more minute either! I really feel anxious to return to my life and my work. The New York City Marathon is next week. I am signed up and have a flight lined up, but I've decided I'm not going to go. This will be the second year in a row that I will miss the marathon, but I just haven't put in the training time to run it like I would like to run it. It's hard thinking about missing it again, but it doesn't make any sense to attempt it when I'm not prepared as needed. Maybe next year I'll finally get to run it. If I can just spend the next couple weeks getting back out onto the road, these next few weeks will be valuable. This depression dip has really stolen my running motivation from me. I'd like to get it back. That's about all I have to say at this moment. I'm anxiously awaiting tomorrow's treatment and my return home. I'm looking forward to being reunited with my dog, Jet, and returning to my daily routine. I'm anxious to get back into my own house and my own bed. At some point, this depression episode has got to abate. That will certainly be cause for celebration, and you'll hear it here first!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prayers for you Etta for relief from this disease that is depression. Your spirit is amazing!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I hope the treatment goes well and you're able to go home. I'm sure Jet will be a comfort to you. I'm sorry you're having to miss the NYC Marathon, but it sounds like you are doing what's best for you. And that is so important. Hang in there--hoping for relief for you soon!

HBF said...

We're all pulling for you! And I think we all know Jet misses you as much as you miss him :) Hang in there, you've got what it takes and we're all cheering for you!

Irene said...

i hope you are able to end those dark thoughts and return to your life soon. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I am watching for this to become an episode in your past.

Sorry about missing out on the Marathon. I am rooting for you. This mental marathon has a finish line too even though it feels endless.

peace,

krystal shell said...

I had depression like you and the meds I was on just seemed to make it worse anyway to make a long story short I came across a cure for depression by extensive research online and found the cause of depression is lack of oxygen to the brain so I then did a research on how to get more oxygen to the brain and found alkaline ionized water it is oxygen rich and high antioxidants. After two weeks my depression and anxiety was gone and hasn't come back. The reason I chose the enagic ionizer is because it seemed like the best compared to the others online. You can learn more about it at www.yourbestantioxidant.com



.