Depression Marathon Blog

My Photo
Diagnosed with depression 13 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Why DONATE? Read: Asking for Help, post from 12/04/2013. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, December 29, 2013

8 years


Yesterday, December 28th, I officially hit 8 years of sober living. I haven't found it necessary to take a drink of alcohol since December 28, 2005. That, my friends, is a miracle! And I am profoundly grateful today. Despite all the pain this journey has sometimes entailed, I wouldn't give up my sobriety to change a moment of it. I am humbled by the assistance, guidance, and love I have received over these past eight years by my friends in recovery. I would not be sober, nor alive, today without the people around me or my recovery program. Living in the moment, one day at a time, and taking the next right action are all recovery principals which guide me through my days, whether they be good days filled with friends and love or bad days consumed by depression and isolation. By using the principals I've learned in sobriety I've stayed alive and functional. I'd be dead today had I not gotten sober. It's that simple. I pray for those still out there, still suffering, and hope they, too, find a way to a much better life. Eight years... I'm humbled. Wow.

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Congratulations, Etta! Blessings to you.

Kelly said...

Congratulations! So impressive!

Irene said...

Congratulations. And here 's to many more pain free years!



.