Depression Marathon Blog

My Photo
Diagnosed with depression 14 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, December 20, 2013

Busy Business

I have discovered that when one is away from home for 10+ days, there were a lot of things awaiting completion once I returned home. I've been a bit overwhelmed with the amount of items on my to-do list. Just opening my mail required half of an afternoon! And some of it is still sitting on my counter waiting to be filed or addressed. It seems every task results in two or three additional tasks. The more items I cross off my list, the more items I add! Yikes! I'm not sure I'll ever catch up.

It may sound like it, but I'm not complaining. I may be overwhelmed, but I'm overwhelmed at home! And that is an improvement. So far I'm doing fairly well. I've been spending my days at home, running errands, completing paperwork, paying bills, and running! My late evenings and overnights are still being spent 20 minutes away at my friend Wendy's home. It's a lot of traveling back and forth for Jet and I, but it is still the safest option, and I think being around others, especially at night, helps maintain my mood. It is what it is, and so far it's working.

I mentioned running. I ran the last 3 days in a row, and I have a long run, 10 miles, on my schedule for tomorrow. I'm officially in my first week of training for the Boston Marathon. My runs of 5, 4, and 3 miles have all been tough with 10 extra pounds on my frame, so I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow. I think I'll run two 5 mile loops just in case I'm not yet up to the task of ten. It may not be easy or pretty, but I'm happy to be out on the road. I'll try to be patient.

That's all for now, friends. I've got this to-do list staring at me. Thank you all for the support I received from you over these last three months. It's hard to believe I felt that bad for that long, but I'm hopeful the worst is past. That's all I can do, right? Keep the faith. Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow will hopefully be better days.

4 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

So glad you are home! Yes, keep the faith. And know that we are thinking of you and wishing you well.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear how things are going-and exciting that you've picked up running again.

The Barefoot Storyteller said...

You are doing so well Etta. I have had a few weeks where the dark thoughts have overwhelmed me but like you I am blessed to have some good people around me.

I haven't run this week...and have been eating for comfort but I take solace from the fact that you are carrying a few pounds extra - me too!!!! Seeing that you are starting your programme for Boston is great as I am starting my programme for London this week! I've never actually run a road marathon before (I normally run off road) and I would love to crack sub 4 hours. I'll be checking in with your blog to keep getting running inspiration and even more importantly to get a dose of hope, even when the dark thoughts are all pervasive.

Jean Grey said...

I am glad that you are able to get back to running. With the winter, I have let my yoga and walking slip, and now my mood is slipping too. I've got to get back to it.



.