Depression Marathon Blog

My Photo
Diagnosed with depression 14 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gratitude Today

While I am still in the hospital receiving more assistance with this episode of depression, I wanted to use this post to focus on my gratitude. I am grateful for my doctor. I am feeling a little more hopeful because the new medication my intelligent and compassionate psychiatrist added last week seems to be doing the trick. My thinking has mellowed. Perhaps my broken brain is beginning to be bandaged.

I am grateful for my social worker who is nothing short of amazing. She assisted me with a very important appointment yesterday, an event I never could have undertaken myself. And she does that for me routinely! I seriously don't know how I would get by without her.

I am grateful for the nursing staff on this mental health unit. They, without a thought, continue to be so helpful and empathetic, it often amazes me. No matter my mood; sad, cranky, irritable, or filled with despair, they have kind words to offer, plans for improvement, and a gentleness that encourages me no matter how discouraged I may be. They make a difficult job look easy.

I am grateful for my friends, especially my friend, Wendy, who is also nothing short of amazing. Despite my faulty Minnesota attitude of, "I can do this by myself, thank you very much," she has continued to assist me, even when I haven't made assisting me very easy. Wendy has helped me with everything from emergency room visits to housing. She is currently taking care of my dog, Jet, who can be a handful to say the least. All of my friends, even my co-workers, have offered non-judgemental and heartfelt support. I am fortunate to be surrounded by such individuals.

Finally, I want to thank all of you. Again. Without your readership, comments, and now donations (14 donations from all over the world), I don't know that I'd still be willing or motivated to keep moving forward. You may not believe this, but you guys do keep me going. I am humbled by your continued support. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Today, I choose to focus on gratitude. I have plenty of problems on which I could choose to focus, but I find my heart filled with hope and peace by focusing on what I have instead. I am one lucky woman. Many in this world have hardships far beyond anything I've ever faced. I have a nasty, chronic, challenging illness, but I have so much more than that. Gratitude today. That's where I'm at. Thank you, God. Thank you, everyone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Etta. It inspired me to reflect on what I am grateful for too.

Sunita

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Ah, this is beautiful, Etta. I'm glad that you have a wonderful team surrounding you. And your words have reminded me to count my own blessings. It really gives us a new perspective, doesn't it? Blessings to you, as always. :-)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. Continued thoughts and prayers are with you!
Nancy

Irene said...

my best to you and may you find inner peace now, Etta

The wound is the place where the Light enters you.
Rumi

Poetry heals the wounds inflicted by reason.
Novalis

If you desire healing,
let yourself fall ill
let yourself fall ill.
Rumi

Depression ACT said...

good works.



.