Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, January 27, 2014

Run with an Olympian

Our group pre-run. 


Post-run with friend Gwen (left) and Olympian, Carrie Tollefson.


I had a wonderful opportunity yesterday morning. I got to run 7 miles with an Olympian. After speaking at our track club's banquet on Saturday night, Carrie Tollefson, Minnesotan and 2004 Olympian in the 1500 meters, joined a large group of us for our Sunday morning run. It was cold but sunny. The pace was a bit fast, not surprisingly, but I can even say I ran in front of an Olympian for a short (very short) period of time! Seriously, it was a great opportunity. Carrie inspired us Saturday evening with her message to, "Get after it!" Matching her actions to her words, we all enjoyed her company Sunday morning. She was a humble, humorous, personable woman. She and her husband would fit perfectly into our local running community. (Consider that your invitation, Carrie!)

Not only was it nice to hear, and meet, and run with an Olympian, it was nice for me to get out and socialize. Saturday night was the first time I had seen most of my running friends since August or September, prior to this last depression episode. And Sunday's group run was my first group run post depression episode as well. When I fell behind the group halfway through the run, I had to remind myself it was okay. My thoughts tried to go negative on me. The pace was one I could have easily maintained last fall. But, as I reminded myself, I am still healing and recovering. I know I will soon find that pace easy once again, as long as I keep working. And I have no plans to stop working.

So, good for me! I got out, socialized, ran, and battled the negative demon thoughts. All of this despite not feeling my best. It shows me I can take the next right actions even when I don't feel like it. Ultimately, those actions led to my mood improving over the past couple of days. Who knows, maybe taking those actions even stopped a slide. Today is a better day, and I'm grateful for that.

2 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

It's wonderful that you were able to enjoy your run, and the banquet the night before. And the fact that you were able to catch those negative thoughts is HUGE, in my book.

Annie said...

I think about your blog a lot and you are always in my prayers, I read a excellent book yesterday, by a champion tennis player, he has experienced what you and I and many others have experienced, but getting from a mans experience was nice, the book is Acing it - the toughest match I have ever faced, by Cliff Richey, he was a famous Tennis Player, his road to recovery was inspiring, yet as you know and I know, we will never fully recover, he had great tips though how to stay in remission.



.