Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Tired. Just tired.

This may be a short post, as I am totally wiped out. My first three days of the mood disorder program, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, were great but long. Mentally, I was whipped going into the weekend. Well, all of that sitting must have ruined me physically, too, as my 13 mile run yesterday was absolutely brutal. It was going so poorly, and I was feeling so fatigued, I probably should have cut it short, but of course I didn't. I spent the rest of the day barely moving. I did get a couple of chores done. Then my friend, Wendy, was kind enough to have me over for dinner. It was nice to spend some time with her before collapsing in bed.

Unfortunately, my fatigue has continued today. I was scheduled to run 5 or 6 miles, but that was unrealistic with how tired I felt. Instead, I shoveled what little snow remained on the driveway and sidewalk, rested, watched some football, took Jet around the block, and did little else. I'm hoping to recoup before I start with the mood disorder program again tomorrow. I think another good night of sleep will do wonders. Until then, I've got more resting to accomplish.

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Rest is definitely important. It's easy for me to forget that. I hope you feel less fatigued after a good night's sleep. :-)

A said...

Hi Etta,

I'm so glad to hear you are managing to carry on. Along with all your other challenges, I'm sure that the responsibility of having to clean up after the ice and snow all the time must get very draining, too. It's so amazing that you can manage to run so much in conditions like that! Just be careful out there, and watch for ice patches - that is always my fear when I am running in winter conditions. The last thing anyone needs is a twisted or broken ankle!
I hope that your day program is helping you. I tried a day program, but it didn't really help me that much. I think I felt too edgy and distracted much of the time. But I'm very glad to hear that your program is helpful to you, even though it can be draining. We just have to keep on keeping on.

Bristol said...

So glad you are carrying on with treatment. You are a kind hearted, strong woman. You Got this! May I ask where your treatment center is?



.