Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Weekend Away

Tomorrow, I'm embarking on a weekend away. I'm looking forward to a few days with my boyfriend, D., in Milwaukee. This is kind of a big deal, as we haven't seen each other since mid-October, in between my first and second hospital stays, this past fall. And since I was in the midst of ECT at that time, my memories of that weekend aren't as clear as I would like. So I'm really looking forward to seeing him this weekend.

I am also scheduled to run 17 miles this weekend. I'm actually kind of looking forward to that, too. I've already had three good runs this week, including an intimidating 40 minute tempo run today. I really didn't know what to expect, but I set the treadmill at 8 minutes per mile and let 'er rip. I not only ran the entire 40 minutes at that pace, but more importantly, I felt good while doing it! Since my doctor decreased one of my meds, the one that caused weight gain, I have physically felt better and running has gotten easier. That's why I'm kind of looking forward to my 17-miler. I'm hoping it feels good, too.

In other news, I did get my baby tooth pulled on Tuesday, and thus began the 18-22 month process of pulling the permanent tooth into position and straightening my teeth. I don't have braces yet. They are still about 6 months away. What I have is an appliance, kind of like a retainer, covering the roof of my mouth and my molars, which is supposed to gradually expand the space where the permanent tooth will fit. It's kind of a pain in the butt. I have to wear it 24 hours per day, and it makes it very difficult to talk normally or eat anything. But I know it's temporary, and I've put up with a lot worse than this in the past few months, so I think I'll be okay.

That's the news for today. My mood remains good, and I'm grateful for that. I'm looking forward to a nice weekend. Carry on, friends!

1 comment:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

A weekend away sounds great, and I hope you have a good time! I hope the run goes well, too. An 8-minute pace sounds awesome to me. Good job! I'm glad you're feeling in a good place right now. Take care!



.