Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, February 10, 2014

Back home settling in

I'm back from my weekend away with my boyfriend, D. It was a very nice weekend. It was too short, as usual. Being back in his arms made me realize exactly how long it had been since we last saw each other, and that I missed him more than I knew. We ate in, ate out, watched a movie, went running, visited with family, and of course, played with Jet. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to go, and I'm already looking forward to seeing him again. It's difficult to live so far apart from each other.

I ran 17 miles along the Milwaukee lakefront on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, I didn't properly hydrate on Friday, stayed up too late Friday night, and felt tired before I even began running. Within the first mile, I knew it was going to be a long day. I tried to focus on the new scenery around me, but I had to do mental gymnastics to keep myself going for almost three hours. I almost completely ran out of energy with three miles to go, which forced me to take walk breaks the rest of the way. But, once again, I did it, and I'm happy about that. I'm also happy with how I recovered. D and I ran 5 miles together on Sunday, and I had no difficulty with that. So it was a mixed bag this weekend, and that was okay. I'm grateful I was able to run and able to run in new, beautiful surroundings.

I've not got much on my agenda this week. My mood remains fairly steady. I'm hoping to chat with my psychiatrist about returning to work when I see her on Thursday. I'm feeling ready to give it a shot. I think I'll be okay as long as I start slow and ease back into things. I don't actually know if I will have the opportunity to return to my previous position, but I'm lucky to be a physical therapist, as I know there are positions open elsewhere. I'll let you know how the conversation with my doc goes.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Sounds hopeful. Glad to hear things going nicer for you.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm glad you had a good visit and a change in scenery. And I think it's great that you got through the 17-mile run even when it was tough. You are a fighter, Etta, and I admire that. :-)



.