Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Finally...

Finally, despite the cold and wind, I had a long run I feel good about! I ran 19 miles yesterday morning. It was 6 degrees. The wind chill was well below zero with wind gusts stiff enough to almost stop me in my tracks. The conditions were challenging. But I was apparently up to the challenge, and boy did that make me happy!

Because of the conditions, I didn't want to get caught too far away from home, so I ran three loops from my house. I ran a 9 mile loop, a 7 mile loop, and then a 3 mile loop with Jet. I stopped briefly at home for carbohydrate and water replenishment between each loop.

I think breaking the run into smaller parts helped physically and mentally. I only had to focus on finishing each loop, and it made the conditions less challenging. Rather than fretting about how cold it was, I was instead able to enjoy the bright sunshine. With all of our new snow piled high and caked on every tree, it was actually quite beautiful outside.

Of course, running 19 miles is difficult, but I'm pleased with how strong I felt. I didn't have the heavy legs and debilitating fatigue of previous long runs. I didn't feel totally wasted when I finished. In fact, I was able to complete my household chores and keep two commitments I had later in the day. It was a good, productive day.

It's always beneficial when I have a good run. My mood has been good anyway, but yesterday's boost was nice. It's wonderful to be feeling well. Pursuing my goals is certainly simpler when my mood is steady.

Speaking of goals, I'm looking forward to a meeting this week with my regional director. We're going to discuss my gradual return to work. He's already made it clear they want me back, and they do have hours available for me. I may end up driving out of town, but I can deal with that. I'm not picky. I really like working for this company, so I'm very happy they want me back. I'll let you know what happens.

2 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Good for you on the runs! I admire that you are willing to deal with that cold! :-) And that's great that your company wants you back. I hope you can get back soon.

Irene said...

I'm happy for you:)



.