Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Gratefully a bit better

Perhaps it was your enthusiastic and supportive response to my last post. Perhaps it was not having to work the past couple of days. Perhaps it was just a matter of time passing. Whatever the reason, I am feeling a little bit better. My apathy has declined while my energy has improved. In fact, I was able to do some housework yesterday, which was a pretty big deal. It's been awhile since I've given a damn about or had the energy to do housework. I'm grateful to be feeling well enough to be somewhat productive again.

Today my mood was helped by the completion of my third and final 20-mile training run in preparation for The Boston Marathon on April 21st. It was a gorgeous day! Finally! I had a conversation with God about gratitude off and on throughout my run. I thanked God for all the people and things I have in my life. I am a lucky woman. Despite this awful illness, I have a lot for which to be grateful. I probably don't think about that often enough. Today, while running for 3 hours, I had plenty of opportunity to say thanks.

What's on your gratitude list today?

3 comments:

CH said...

Etta, grateful for you sharing your story with us so we may have a better insight to what we are going through and that we are not alone. Great to see things are improving with you. Your sharing your story helps all of us. I want to share with you lyrics from a song that my friend and I share. "My faith in things unseen..... My belief that it'll all work out."

There will be ups and downs, keep pushing forward. Prayers to you.
CH

Mopsa said...

It's great to know that you're feeling better :) I've been praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Housework is the worst! It's always what I struggle with most when my energy level is coming back up from a dive in mood. Great job -- keep it up!:)
-Hannah



.