Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Getting ready to go

I am less than two weeks away from running the Boston Marathon. I'm really looking forward to going now. From a running standpoint, I feel ready. That's really great. I never thought I'd be able to say that in January when running was so slow and tough, and I was feeling so heavy.I'm still in the process of losing the depression weight. I've lost at least 7 pounds since January, and that's made a big difference in my running. It's gotten easier and easier to run faster and faster over the months of training. I'm anxious to see what my body will do on marathon day, April 21st.

I'm also anxious to see my boyfriend, D. We haven't seen each other in at least 6 weeks! Too long. He's coming to Boston to watch me run. We're flying separately from our respective states and meeting at the hotel in Boston. I can't wait! I've been missing him a lot lately. We're staying for a few days after the race, too. I lived in Boston for five years, so I'm excited to show him the sites while we spend time together. I'm afraid it might be hard to leave.

Hopefully, when I do come home, I'll have more work options. I'm still trying to get some shifts scheduled so I can get back to my pre-depression-episode life. I will be working tomorrow for the first time in two weeks. I'm worried my improved mood over the past two weeks has simply been the result of not working, which would mean my struggles prior to that were likely the result of going back to work. I hope that was not the case. I'd prefer if it was more of a coincidence. Until I get some consistent shifts again, I guess I won't know for sure. It will be nice to work while feeling better.

And finally, thank you all for your comments on my previous post. I really enjoyed reading your thoughts and appreciated your kind words of support. As so often happens when I write here, I now know I am not at all alone. I hope the comments of others were helpful to the rest of you, too. I'll keep writing in hopes that we all continue moving forward despite our personal battles with this dreadful illness. Carry on, friends.

2 comments:

Rikke Sommer said...

Thank you for a wonderful blog! Your experiences resonates within me as I have gone and still go through a lot of the same struggles. Keep moving forward, be strong and have a hell of a run!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have just read your blog from this year and I understand that writing this must be hard for you. As far as I am aware I have never suffered with depression but I have lived with 2 separate partners who both suffered and now a very close friend of mine has admitted that she is also suffering. It was the close friend that pointed me in the direction of your blog as she has found many similarities between the two of you and we are hoping that my reading of your thoughts will help me better understand what she is going through.
I just wanted you to know that your blog is helping others and we appreciate what you are doing. Best of luck with the marathon x



.