Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, May 8, 2014

The daily report

The sore throat and aches I was experiencing on Monday have strangely hung around this week. It's weird. I feel better overall. I have more energy for running and work, but I have also been having attacks of fatigue that knock me flat. And every time I think my throat is no longer sore, I feel soreness. I don't remember having any soreness when I got up this morning, but my right tonsil is swollen and sore now. It's weird.

I saw my psychiatrist today. We talked about the fatigue, but she's hesitant to change any medications. I understand that, and I agree with that. Neither of us want me to go through another depressive episode anytime soon. We also talked about work restrictions. I've been handling the 4-hour shifts pretty well, so I'm going to begin working 6-hour shifts now. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to work more.

I signed up for my local marathon yesterday. My 20-miler went well over the weekend, and my runs this week have been good, so I figured, why not? I'm going to use it as a training run for Grandmas Marathon in June. The 20-mile mark is just down the street from my home, so if things aren't going well, I can always walk off the course and come home. If I'm doing okay, I'll go ahead and finish. The race is Memorial Day Weekend, so I'm officially tapering again. I'm hoping for good weather and a good run.

I don't have anything else going on right now, and that's a good thing. Quiet and drama-free is exactly how I want to live. I so appreciate when my mood is good and life is moving along smoothly. I'm living gratefully today.

3 comments:

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm glad you're feeling better and hope the fatigue and sore throat go away soon. Do you have allergies? I have hay fever this time of year (and in the fall) and it causes fatigue and a scratchy throat.

Irene said...

Allergies do the same to me, actually make me feel quite tired also.

Lauren said...

I'm doing Grandma's as a celebration of surviving 10 years since a suicide attempt. Here's to celebrating every day of life!!! :) Hope you are feeling better soon.



.