Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Preparation

I'm busy preparing for Chicago. I just had a really great run, so I'm feeling more confident about running well in Chicago on Sunday. I only have a couple of 2 mile runs left, tomorrow and Saturday, before the big event. I've been mentally preparing by picturing myself running confidently and comfortably past various mile markers and across the finish line. Marathon day is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical one, so I think it helps to do some visualization beforehand. I'm really looking forward to a good race.

Speaking of mental, I'm still doing well. My mood has been good. I've had enough energy to work and run and take care of my pre-travel business. Of course, most days do include a 45-60 minute nap, but that's always been a part of my routine. I need a lot of sleep. I'm grateful to be doing well.

I'm looking forward to seeing D in just a couple of days. We are going to Chicago together. He ran his marathon this past Sunday, so he'll be my cheerleader in Chicago. We haven't seen each other since mid-August, so I'm just as anxious to see him as I am to run.

I'll try to post an update or two when I'm in Chicago. As is typical, I'm sure there will be a lengthy dissection of my race at some point. You may suffer through it if you so choose. Until then, carry on, my friends.

No comments:



.