Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Long distance

I'm just now reclining after a wonderful weekend with my boyfriend, D. He arrived Friday afternoon in time for us to catch dinner before going to a concert. I hadn't been to a concert in quite a long time. It was fun! On Saturday morning we lounged, exercised, and then lounged again before heading out to lunch at a highly recommended small town cafe about 25 minutes from here.

The recommendations were dead on. The food was delicious, and the desserts were amazing! We took our time, enjoyed our food, chatted with the owners, and watched the locals, who all knew each other, come and go before heading home. Saturday night we went to a movie and had a small, late dinner at a new Thai restaurant. Again, our food was wonderful. We were laughing at ourselves, as we joked about eating our way through southern Minnesota. I don't really cook, so when D is here we do eat out a lot. And we enjoy it.

After another lazy morning this morning, we took Jet for a long walk through the woods. We had a nice talk as we took in the crisp fall day. Snow is in the forecast, so that may have been our last opportunity to enjoy crisp air and a carpet of leaves. We had another good meal at one of our favorite  restaurants and spent part of the afternoon on the sofa watching a football game together. Halfway through the game, it was time for D to go. That's the hard part.

Living four hours apart is tough. I hate when we have to leave each other. We see each other so infrequently, less than once per month, I try to soak in every minute we're together. But that doesn't make separating any easier. After the long hug goodbye, one of us always has to walk out the door. It's not easy. Of course I feel sad when he goes, but I don't let myself wallow there. I've gotten pretty good at redirecting my thoughts. As I am now, reflecting on our time together brightens my mood.

I'm already looking forward to seeing D again, likely around Christmas, at which point we'll begin our weekend routine once again. Until we decide to take this relationship one step further, and one of us (me) makes a big move, this is the way it is. Love from a distance isn't easy, but I think we're making it work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful. Glad you had such a great weekend.

-Virginia

Anonymous said...

It does sound a wonderful relationship. I am wondering if D reads your blog? I guess he knows your struggles with the depression because you were hospitalized. And why aren't you two planning on moving together???
Best wishes!



.