Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, April 3, 2015

Spring Cleaning

I'm not a big fan of cleaning. Who is? But I'm even less a fan of a dirty environment. I find my mood suffers if I let my surroundings get too messy. So I've been doing my spring cleaning. Today I went outside. It's sunny and crisp here, a perfect day to do some yard work. If you own a dog in a northern climate you know what that means. When the snow melts a full winter of potty breaks is left behind. It's not pretty. After a couple of hours I had filled more than one bag with dead grass, leaves, and Jet's doggy deposits. My yard is now clean. Jet and I are both happy.

Speaking of happy, I'm still feeling well. It's been two weeks since I asked and my doctor agreed to lower one of my medications. I think I'm well enough to be on the lower dose, and I'm pretty sure the med was keeping me from losing the extra weight I gained during my layoff from running. I'm happy to report I got on the scale this morning, and I have indeed lost one pound. One pound is not a lot, but it's a start. I've been working very hard to eat well, stay away from sweets (which I love), and running or exercising consistently. It's nice to see the work paying off.

I've been running consistently over the last couple weeks. I'm getting back on track. I'm scheduled to run long tomorrow morning. How long I go has yet to be determined. My schedule calls for 16 miles, but I'm not back up to that level yet. I ran 11.5 last weekend, so I think 13 miles might be doable. That's what I'm going to shoot for, but I'll let my body be my guide. I had dead legs during my run yesterday. They feel better today. I'm being cautiously optimistic that I'll continue to feel strong and be able to run longer tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Depression isn't too bad as long as you keep yourself active. Running definitely helps, but on long runs or speed workouts definitely listen to your body. If it is tired, then go easy until legs feel better. My worst moments are sleep and the mornings. Once going I am better....John.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you for your blog and the courage it takes to put your story out there. I have been suffering from depression on and off for over twenty years and am currently in a dark valley. Knowing that others are dealing with the same issue helps me to feel less isolated as it is the isolation of depression that is one of its most crippling features. You have inspired me to make sure I take a run today!
-AVS



.