Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Unpacking


The worst part of returning from a journey is unpacking. Don't you agree? I just returned from vacation. For the past week, my boyfriend, D, and I have been in Arizona. We stayed in Scottsdale at a cool, retro 60's hotel. They even played 60's music in the lobby. It was pretty neat. We enjoyed running, shopping, eating and hiking in warm sunshine. It was really nice.

The picture above is of us at the top of Camelback Mountain. Camelback is about 2,700 feet high. To get to the summit we climbed the 1.2 mile Echo trail, which at points is nearly vertical. It is difficult climbing, but the workout is great and the views are spectacular! We definitely deserved our big breakfast after we finished.

I did my best to keep up with my training while I was away. I did my long run, 17.5 miles, along a canal path through Scottsdale and Phoenix on Saturday morning. It was a gorgeous day for a long run, sunny and in the 70's, and there were many others out running, too. Unfortunately, my right Achilles tendon, which had been sore recently, got very sore over my final miles. It swelled up later, and I was unable to walk without limping. In fact, I've been unable to run since Saturday because of it.

I'm a little concerned, as I've got a half marathon with my brother scheduled for this Sunday. I've had Achilles tendon issues several times in the past, so I'm familiar with the problem. I'm betting my right hip is still a bit weak, causing slight alteration to my gait, which likely flared up the tendon. I think it is improving, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to race on Sunday. Knowing me, I'll race even if the tendon is not 100%. I'm looking forward to spending the time with my brother, and I'm anxious to see where my fitness is at currently. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

paullamb said...

Sounds like a great (and much needed) trip, even if you had to come home at the end. You should do this kind of thing all the time.

My right Achilles gets tight enuf to make me favor it when I walk, but after a mile or so of running, it's loosened up.

Good luck on your half! I hope we get to hear all about it.

Anonymous said...

You will make. Cannot race every run. Some are just to be enjoyed...John.

Bengal said...

My Mom used to live in Phoenix, AZ and I would go to visit her there. It is a beautiful, sunny place and you look happy and rested in picture. Glad you had a nice time there.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh you were in my hometown! Did you stay at the Valley Ho? It was a great time for you to visit before it became too hot that's for sure! Hiking in this heat is nearly impossible for me!



.