Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Uncle! Uncle!

I had emergency oral surgery yesterday. You might think this is related to my last post, in which I described my oral surgery last week, but that would be too easy. No, this oral surgery was for an entirely unrelated problem, on the other side of my mouth, that cropped up late last week. I apparently fractured tooth #14, a molar on the left side of my mouth, when I bit down on something. That fracture led to a massive infection. By Thursday night, I couldn't even touch that tooth with my tongue. The pain was that severe. I had to live with that pain all weekend, as there was no way to get the tooth pulled until yesterday. And I'm not done yet. Now I'm swollen, and miserable, and in pain as a result of the surgery. I have unhealed holes where teeth are supposed to be on both sides of my mouth now. The pain pills barely help. I'm frazzled, and tired, and overwhelmed. I'm doing my best to stay strong and hang in there, but it's hard not to worry about what's coming next.

4 comments:

paullamb said...

Well, I could say "that bites," but it probably wouldn't seem funny right now. Or I could say you need to "keep a stiff upper lip," but that probably wouldn't help either. Nor would telling you not to feel "down in the mouth."

I wish I could do more for you than offer encouraging words. I don't know you, but I think I've seen enuf of you through your blog to believe you have the personal strength to get through all of this. I am in constant awe of your strength and outlook.

HBF said...

Good grief! It's good to stay strong and hang in there but you can always let loose and have a good whine or cry too, for good measure. :)

Anonymous said...

I would definitely rain some tears, maybe for a long while. Irene

Julie Gathman said...

I'm just shaking my head, I can't believe another thing happened.



.