Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Lazy day

I'm wiped out. I don't know why exactly. I worked my normal schedule this week. I exercised my normal amount. I partook in my normal daily activities. But the last few days have not been totally normal. After tending to my commitments each day I've been unable to get my butt out of my chair. It's frustrating.

I'm tired. Lethargic. Dispirited. Wiped out. Today has been an especially slow day filled with sloth. After motivating to my 45-minute cycling class this morning, I spent the rest of the day lying on the sofa, alternately sleeping, or not, and barely moving. It's now late afternoon. I feel like I wasted the day.

It's not that I have something pressing to do. So perhaps I shouldn't worry so much about leaving my imprint on the sofa. Nevertheless, I'm glad to finally be up doing something productive. I've showered, dressed and prepared myself for a short outing this evening. Hopefully my need for sloth has been satisfied.

I do have an Achilles update to report. I saw my orthopedic doctor on Thursday. I am almost 5 weeks post-op now, and my doc thought everything looked good. He gave me permission to begin doing more exercise.

I am now allowed to leave my house without my walking boot on short, controlled excursions. I still need to wear the boot at work or any other time I will be on my feet for an extended period. I've also been given the okay to add elliptical training and short walks to my strengthening routine. Jet and I actually walked 7 blocks a couple of days ago. It wasn't much, but it was a start.

I'm pleased with the progression of activities. It was especially nice to walk with Jet again. I will continue being cautious, though, as a return to running is the ultimate goal. I don't want or need any setbacks.

My mood is holding. It's not fabulous, but it's not poor either. I'm focusing on handling what's in front of me, living life on life's terms and taking the next right action. I think that's all I can do, right?

2 comments:

HBF said...

Handling what's in front of me sounds like a fabulous approach... I think I will take a hint from your post and try not to focus on all the pitfalls and soggy spots of my life, just reach for the next best right action. One thing at a time. I'm hoping the best for you as your venture forth! (or stay on the couch, doesn't matter where ya are to me :) be well)

Rachel T. said...

Hi there. This might sound ignorant but do you think the weather in Minnesota affects your depression at all? I was diagnosed 4 months ago, right when it started to get cold and get dark by 4pm. The last couple weeks, the temperature has been rising and it's lighter later. Thank GOD daylight savings is this weekend. I am on medication, in therapy, etc. but I can't help but wonder if I also have Seasonal Affective Disorder. I really like your blog. I am also a runner!



.