Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, June 27, 2016

A New Training Partner

It's a bird. It's a plane. No, it's an ElliptiGo! I am excited. After years of yearning, and months of searching, I am now the proud owner of an ElliptiGo. It's my new training tool.


An ElliptiGo is basically an elliptical bike. As you can see in the photos, I stand on the pedals and "pedal" in an elliptical motion that closely resembles running but without the impact. I heard about the ElliptiGo several years ago and immediately wanted one. Unfortunately, they were way out of my price range. As a result of my ongoing Achilles injury, I decided several months ago I wanted to pursue purchasing a used ElliptiGo. Unfortunately, there are very, very few used ElliptiGos on the market and most were still out of my price range. Finally, after months of searching across the country, I found one in Colorado. The woman selling it was very generous. We negotiated a fair price, and she agreed to have it disassembled and shipped to me. Now I'm the happy owner.


I'm still getting used to my new training partner, but I've already ridden it several times. I get very strange looks from everyone I pass while riding it. Not sure I like that, but it's to be expected. It's not something one sees every day.

Riding the ElliptiGo is fun, and it's a great workout! It works my legs like running, but I also get a good core and even arm workout while riding it. I generally average just under 5 minutes per mile on my rides. I only wish I could run that fast, even for a mile! I'll keep dreaming.

Once I'm back to training, I'm really hopeful riding the ElliptiGo will allow me to log more weekly miles than I'd otherwise be able to safely log on my recovering Achilles. I may use it on my easy days instead of running. We'll see how it all works out, but I'm excited to add it to my training routine. I feel like I'm taking another step in the process of getting back on the roads, and I'm really grateful for that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you ride it easily right away? Looks fun. I know they have stationary trainers for indoors.

Congratulations . They say if you can ride a bike you can handle these. Is it heavier than a regular bike? I hope it fills in for when you can't run.

Irene

paullamb said...

I've seen these once or twice on the paved trails I run around here. Definitely an uncommon sight. How are they with hills? Up and down?

etta said...

Yes, Irene, I could ride it from the first try. Thank God, because once I'm standing on the pedals, the ground is not all that close! The most challenging part of riding it is starting from a dead stop, but it wasn't difficult, just a bit nerve wracking the first time. It is bigger and heavier than a bicycle.

Paul, the model I have has 8 speeds, and it climbs hills easily. That is, as long as I remember to downshift prior to the hill. It doesn't shift on the fly as easily as a bike, so I found I have to downshift as I approach the hill rather than trying to do so once struggling up the hill. Riding downhill is a blast...coast! It is also longer than a bike, so the turning radius is larger. I'm still getting the hang of tight turns.

HBF said...

Sounds fun and just a little scary! Congrats on the find and happy cruising. It looks so unique, I'd never seen or heard of one before so thanks for enlightening me :o)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the information, Etta. I would love to try it but I can tell it doesn't suit my situation . I will enjoy it vicariously. Irene

Gail said...
This comment has been removed by the author.


.