Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Only 25% to go

I'm happy to report I ran for 35 minutes today, on the Alter G Treadmill, at 75% of my body weight. I ran 8 minute miles without pain. I'm cautiously optimistic I've turned a corner in my recovery from my right Achilles tendon tear. This is the first time I've been able to increase the body weight percentage, from 70% to 75%, without my Achilles revolting at least a bit. And at 75% of my body weight, I finally felt like I was actually running more than floating.

Like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm now beginning my 15th month of no running. If you had suggested at any time in my past that I'd be able to survive 15 months without running, I'd have called you crazy. I wouldn't have believed it. I'm actually quite amazed with myself. That may sound silly, but it's true. In fact, perhaps all the cross training, biking, and weight lifting will actually help once I'm back on the road. At least that's what I'm telling myself. That being said, I can't wait to get back on the road!

I'm doing well, otherwise. My mood is better than it was over the weekend. I'm not in a funk anymore. I'm busy. Between work, exercising, and taking care of Jet, I've got little time for much else. Work especially has been busy with some challenging patients. They're keeping me on my toes.

I am taking some time to go to a play on Sunday with the young man I mentored several years ago. He's in his mid-twenties now. It's cool to spend time with him all grown up. I'm proud of the person he's become, and I'm really happy he's still in my life all these years later. It will be nice to spend some time together.

That's all that's happening around here. Things are good. My life is pleasantly boring again, just the way I like it. Hope everything is pleasantly boring in your lives, too. Carry on, my friends.

1 comment:

paullamb said...

Great to hear this great report. I hope it's just the beginning.



.