Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

23 Months, 7 Days

October 19, 2014, was the last time I lined up at the starting line. Twenty three months and seven days ago was the last time I ran and finished a race. Until today. Today I ran a race. I crossed the starting line at 8:01 AM. One hour and forty eight minutes later, after 13.1 wet miles (it rained lightly throughout), I crossed the finish line of the 2016 Med City Fall Half Marathon. My friend, Heidi, took a picture of me at the finish line. I am smiling a huge, joyful, relieved smile. I'm still smiling right now. I am so, so happy and grateful. I'm back. And it feels really good to be back!


Mile 13 Happiness

5 comments:

TriTrish said...

That's great Etta. Congratulations!

Jim said...

Etta....one big hug and a pat on the back. Rocking kewl!!!!en theos...j

paullamb said...

I'm glad you're back!

Julie Gathman said...

Wow!!! This gives me tremendous hope.

Kay said...

Fantastic! You are back to something you want to be! I will keep slogging on, snapped ACL and all.



.