Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Healing and Restless

I'm getting a little restless. I'm waiting for my mouth to heal enough so I may resume running. You'd think this little 4 day break would be nothing for me. After all, I sat out 15 months for my Achilles. I think that long break is making this little break feel more indeterminate than it actually is. I'm anxious to get back to my training.

I've had to be very quiet since my surgery. Any jostling to my mouth could slow or even stop the healing process. I actually tried to run today, but I began to feel soreness at my surgery site so I stopped after one mile. I went to the gym and rode an elliptical for awhile instead. I don't want to do anything that may jeopardize my mouth healing and healing well.

My mood has remained good throughout this little break. I was concerned the surgical pain, the days off of work, the inability to run, and the extended downtime would negatively impact my mood, but so far so good. I'm relieved. Relieved, but a bit restless.

I'm anxious to get back to training because my training for the New York City Marathon has been going very well. My Achilles seems to be holding up well, and I'm feeling like a runner again. I had 3 great runs in the days before my surgery. My second 20-miler is scheduled for next Sunday. It's all downhill until marathon day after that. I've purchased my plane ticket and reserved my hotel. I'm ready to go.

Yes, I'm ready to go. Now I just have to hurry up and heal.

No comments:



.