Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, November 6, 2016

A Great Day in New York


I had a great day in New York today! I cried, actually cried, when the starting line came into view for the first time. After the start I kept my head up and my eyes open. I looked around, paid special attention to each neighborhood we ran through, enjoyed every moment, and ran well to boot! I finished in 3:51:30.

It was tough to run with a consistent or quick pace through the first 15 miles, as the streets were quite crowded. As a result, I ran a massive negative split, meaning I ran the second half faster than the first. I ran 1:57:15 through 13.1 miles, which equates to a 3:54:30 finish time for the full 26.2. It's every marathoner's goal to run a negative split, but I didn't have such expectations today, which made the surprise negative split even more fun!

At mile 16, after coming off the very long, very uphill, Queensboro Bridge; my slowest mile of the entire day, I realized I was feeling good so I went for it. I felt good and ran well through mile 23, at which point I was certain I was going to finish (and shed a few more tears). From that point forward I hung on for the ride. The last 3 miles were tough but powerful, I maintained my pace, passed a lot of runners, and shed more than a few tears at the finish line.

I don't remember if I've ever before cried at a marathon. I was truly overcome with emotion today, and that was totally okay. I deserved it. It's been a long haul getting back here. So I cried. But I also smiled more, waved more, said thank you more (to volunteers, military and police officers), and generally enjoyed myself more today than I have at previous marathons. It was a good day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done, Etta. What a tremendous achievement!

paullamb said...

I'm really glad you had a great marathon! You earned it and you deserved it.

I finished -- not so well -- and will remember this one forever.

Wendy Love said...

Congratulations!
I have been following but not commenting until today. I am rejoicing for you in this 'comeback' victory.
It is hard enough to come back after a depressive episode and then another to come back to fully participating to something you used to enjoy so much.
This is a double victory for you.
I appreciate so much the way you write about depression. It is honest without being whiny. It is informative without being preachy.
As frank as you are about the bad times, they are always mixed in with optimism and hope.
Your perseverance is inspiring!

Rachael Wood said...

Well done Etta - fabulous to see/ read your achievements after theast couple of years.

Julie Gathman said...

Tremendously encouraging! The achilles injury healed...your mouth healed...the depression did not keep you down...this is just fabulous news! Thanks for sharing.

Rachel T. said...

wow, amazing time! It took me 6:02. It was my first. I had a cramp in my right side almost the entire time. I never had that during my long training runs! Also, it's definitely OK to cry. I felt emotional as well.



.