Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Nominated

I received a nice message a few days ago. Apparently Healthline.com is promoting a contest to find the best health blog, and my little blog has been nominated. How cool is that? There's even prize money! I'm humbled and honored.

I'm honored, but I have no expectation I will finish in the money. I'm a little gal in a big world of bloggers. I don't Twitter. I don't Facebook. I'm not even very knowledgeable about the ways of the internet. I'm a little fish in what has become a very big pond, and I'm okay with that.

When I created this blog in 2008, there wasn't a lot of first person information about depression on the internet. I couldn't find what I needed, so I began this blog. A lot of people turned up their noses when I told them I was going to blog about depression. Despite their misgivings, I began to write anyway.

I wanted to educate people about mental illness and stigma. I also wanted to share my experience, strength and hope. Quality of life is possible despite having depression. I hope those who happen upon Depression Marathon find something of value. I hope sharing my experience is helpful to others, but the secret is I actually help myself every time I sit here and type.

I'm as surprised as anyone that I'm still typing after all these years. I don't know what I expected when I began, but I'm pretty sure I never imagined I'd still be writing almost 9 years later. I never imagined many people would read anything I wrote either.

That being said, if you're reading this, feel free to vote here! Voting begins November 21st and runs through December 12th. And if you feel strongly, you may even vote once per day! Regardless of the outcome, I appreciate the recognition by you, my readers, and by Healthline.com. Thank you.

No comments:



.