Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Saying Thank You

One of my supervisors left me a note yesterday. We've been really busy, and I worked later than usual yesterday. I was actually the last one in the office. When I returned to my desk from my patient's room there was a handwritten note thanking me for "all you do." It was a simple note on plain paper, likely scribbled on her way out the door, but it made a difference in my day. It changed my attitude about being there later than usual and made my drive home a little more serene.

I appreciated her note so much I folded it up and took it home. I'm looking at it right now. Why throw it away? Every time I look at it, the note reminds me of her kind gesture. It reminds me someone appreciates what I do. It acknowledges I'm making a difference. That's pretty cool. I like the reminders. I'm glad I didn't toss it out.

Saying thank you. It's such a simple thing to do. My supervisor's note reminds me I need to pay it forward. I need to make sure I'm thanking others for their kindness, hard work, or friendship. I think I do an okay job of saying thanks, but there's always room for improvement. And when I'm feeling stressed or overwhelmed, which I may be on the verge of feeling right now, it's probably even more important for me to remember what others are doing for me rather than concerning myself only with what I am doing for others. Just a thought.

2 comments:

HBF said...

Gratitude is a very powerful thing! Feels good to read of this, thanks for sharing the joy :o)

Anonymous said...

Nice๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‹



.