Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Friday, February 8, 2008

complaining?

it is neither my goal nor my intention to use this blog as a platform of complaint. rather, my premise is education, conversation, and hopefully support. over the last several days, my desperation, frustration, and sadness certainly could be characterized as complaining. certainly. however, in the midst of ever-increasing debility and ever-decreasing energy, the reality of depression while sounding like "poor-me" complaints is actually just reality. unfortunately, it's just reality. and with this illness, sometimes (not all the time, as my fabulous therapist reminded me yesterday--i count on her to do that) reality sucks.

3 comments:

crackedheadblog said...

I've reached a similar place in the life of my blog, and my life period. While my depression is relatively in check, today, my world weariness is weighing heavily on me. I realize how unattractive it is. But it is who I've become, and depression is a big part of why. What to do?

I continue to be surprised by how much I can relate to your story. We are so different. Our feeling about what has happened and is happening to us are so similar.

What a nightmare.

etta said...

perhaps we are more alike than not?

crackedheadblog said...

I think it's that I've never heard anyone articulate their thoughts and feeling concerning depression the way you have, and how closely your thoughts and feelings mirror my own.

I guess it's shouldn't be surprising, either that we feel similarly or that I find that strange. It's not like I know any people with depression personally. Mostly we're an isolated lot. Actually I probably have known quite a few folks with it, but because of the stigma, keep it to themselves.



.