Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 16 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Only A Game

I heard a very telling story this morning on one of my favorite NPR radio programs...very telling, very sickening, and very sad. Use the following link to hear a story about Tommy Blake, a top NFL prospect until sidelined by mental illness. It is an excellent piece about his diagnosis, treatment, and subsequent comeback attempt, but be prepared to hear a sickening comment by a "top NFL scout" highlighting the ugly pervasiveness of stigma.

http://www.onlyagame.org/shows/2008/02/20080223.asp

Tommy-
Stand tall, run fast, and hit hard!
And if you get a chance, pummel that "top NFL scout," for all of us!
Good luck.

No comments:



.