Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Med List...

I was just over on crackedheadblog where he has a page which lists his medications. I'm impressed. I don't think I could do that. I'm a little embarrassed by the cocktail of drugs I require to keep this illness under control. I even dread the med question at all of my other healthcare appointments. Why does my eye doctor need a list of all of my medications? Actually, I understand the necessity of the question, but it still sucks when they ask it! First of all, I can't remember all of them all of the time, and if they want the dosages and pill sizes, too, well FORGET it! But the bigger issue is that reeling off a long list of psychiatric meds is another opportunity to be pre-judged and labeled by people I don't know and who don't know me. Of course, I shouldn't care what they think, right? But, as I noted in yesterday's post, even healthcare professionals are filled with pre-conceived notions which may negatively affect our interactions and my treatment. So the revealing of "the list" is always done with great trepidation and is followed by careful observation of my questioner for a hint of the reaction. Will I be treated with dignity and compassion? Will my concerns, comments and thoughts be respectfully considered? Or will I suddenly become less interesting, believable, or worthy of the pro's time? It's a critical tipping point that I am forced to repeat with each new healthcare contact I make. Sometimes it's worth it, and I become a repeat customer, but sometimes it's not, and I move on to the next dentist, orthopedist, or allergist on the list.

No comments:



.