Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Monday, April 7, 2008

Is Dorothy Hamill next to be vilified?

The invective leveled at J.K. Rowling after she revealed her struggle with depression and suicidality does not bode well for "America's Sweatheart," who details her own struggle in her upcoming autobiography, A Skating Life. Dorothy Hamill will also be the cover story in the preview issue of esperanza, a new magazine focused on depression and anxiety disorders, according to a NAMI press release today. While the announcement of the magazine is exciting, I wonder if Hamill is aware of the potential for vitriol and vilification as a result of her honesty. Perhaps JK Rowling could give her a heads-up... (See: JK Rowling speaks of suicide--hate responds)

No comments:



.