Depression Marathon Blog

My photo
Diagnosed with depression 17 years ago, I lost the life I once knew, but in the process re-created a better me. I am alive and functional today because of my dog, my treatment team, my sobriety, and my willingness to re-create myself within the confines of this illness. I hate the illness, but I'm grateful for the person I've become and the opportunities I've seized because of it. I hope writing a depression blog will reduce stigma and improve the understanding and treatment of people with mental illness. All original content copyright to me: etta. Enjoy your visit!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

just another week in lake wobegon

Motorcycles were popping out of garages like popcorn out of sizzling pots. That's what happens around here the first time the temp hits about 50. I ran 6 miles, in shorts and a t-shirt, and had enough energy to swim 1/2 mile on the same day! I still had energy for 5 miles the following afternoon despite the arrival of my menstrual cycle and a gray, nasty, icy storm. That's what happens here at least once every April, a reminder that we live in Minnesota and motorcycles are no match for Mother Nature. It was the next day that I first missed a scheduled run, and the day after that when I was confined to bed after the migraine ice pick found its way into my head. The snow, sleet, ice and cold did not help the following day's fatigue, as my mood also took a dive toward the cellar. The dishes in my sink began to interfere with getting a drink, as there was no longer room to fill my glass. The table I had so diligently cleared just last week began again to disappear under unopened mail. Things were stacking up, as my energy tumbled down. Saturday's scheduled challenging run weighed heavily, even as I stepped out the door. But after a crappy couple miles, something clicked. Like a magic fairy waving her wand, I ran--fast! Five quick miles, freshly fattened lungs, and one dilated heart later, and my world had changed again. I couldn't believe I had accomplished such a run despite lurking depression, fatigue, and especially after such an inauspicious start. Today, the weather brought another change, as the sun finally reappeared and brightened the land. And so the week ended as it began, with warmth, sun, and motorcycles, and energy enough for a relaxing run.
Now, about those dishes...

No comments:



.